The Forbidden City has a history of 600 years. The large scale construction of the palace extended from 1406 to 1420. It’s totally 24 emperors of the Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty rule here, and was off-limits for the common people. On the foundation of the palace it is established the Palace Museum and began open to common people. Designated by the State Council as one of China"s foremost protected monuments in 1961, the Palace Museum was also made a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987.
Covering an area of 72 hectares (about 180 acres) the Forbidden City consists of 9 999 rooms surrounded by a 10-meter high city wall which measures 960 meters long from south to north and 750 meters wide from east to west. Outside the wall is a 52-meter-wide moat. It is indeed a city within a city. of the structures in the Forbidden City are wooden with white stone foundations yellow glazed tiles and colorful wall paintings. A south-to-north axis line divides the complex by half. The whole complex looks imposing and stately.