Scotland Yard (officially New Scotland Yard) is the headquarters of the police agency in England (Metropolitan Police Service), excluding the City of London, which has its own police. The name is often used in the media to refer to the London police.
The building of modern Scotland Yard is located in Westminster. Administrative functions are assigned to personnel, which is based in the Empress State Building, and operational management is assigned to the three Metcall centers.
The largest police agency in England. It employs 31,000 officers who are responsible for an area of 1,606 km², and a population of 7.2 million people living in and around London.
The name Scotland Yard comes from its original location on Big Scotland Yard in Whitehall. Interesting and version of the origin of the name of the street (literally - "Scottish Yard"). According to one of them, in the 10th century, King Edgar of England gave the Scottish king Kenneth a piece of land near the Palace of Westminster in London. He demanded that King Kenneth build a residence there and visit it annually, thereby paying tribute to the kingdom of England on behalf of Scotland. King Kenneth built himself a palace and lived there whenever he came to England. The palace remained the possession of the Scottish kings and was considered the territory of Scotland. When Queen Elizabeth I died in 1603, the king of Scotland, Jacob VI, became king of England and Scotland, and the palace lost its original purpose. It was divided into two parts: the first one was named “Big Scotland Yard”, the second - “Middle Scotland Yard”. They began to be used as government buildings.
There are also versions that in the Middle Ages the street belonged to a man named Scott, and also that the diligence once went to this street to Scotland.
By the 17th century, the street became the location of government buildings designed by architects Inigo Jones and Christopher Wren, who lived here.
The Greater London Police was formed by the Minister of the Interior, Sir Robert Peel, in pursuance of the Law of London Police initiated by the same Parliament, passed by Parliament in 1829. Sir Robert Peel, with the help of Eugène Francois Widoc, chose Scotland Yard as the original location for the General Directorate. In 1829, the building was occupied by police, led by its first leaders, Sir Charles Rowan and Sir Richard Mayne. (It is interesting that until 1855 this post was jointly occupied by two officers). Two commanders, along with police officers and personnel, occupied a private house at Whitehall, 4, the back of which went out into the courtyard. She was used as a police station. This was the address by which the Greater London police was named Scotland Yard ...
Detailed 3D model of New Scotland Yard
Rendered with C4D.
All materials and texture are included.