The Krupp company developed in 1929, on the basis of the truck L3 H63, a new three wheeled, cross country truck. The development phase of this truck was finished by 1930 and this model went into mass production as type L2 H43. The basic vehicle was improved in 1936 by fitting a stronger 60 HP engine and improving its chassis. The type L2 H143 was produced over a period of 6 years and it proved its value in peace time as well as during the Second World War. As a troop transporter it was mainly in use with motorised infantry units, providing the necessary mobility.