The Churchill Crocodile was a British flame-throwing tank of late World War II. A variant of the Tank, Infantry, Mk VI A22 Churchill Mark VII, although the Churchill Mark IV was initially chosen to be the base vehicle.
It was introduced as one of the specialised armoured vehicles developed under Major-General Percy Hobart and known as one of Hobarts Funnies. It was produced from October 1943, just in time for the Normandy invasion though no units saw action on the first day.
Eight hundred were produced by conversion of existing tanks. The conversion kit consisted of the trailer, an armoured pipe fitted along the underside of the tank, and the projector, which replaced the hull mounted Besa machine gun. The Crocodile was therefore still able to function as a gun tank with its turret mounted Ordnance QF 75 mm gun.
Four hundred gallons of fuel and the compressed nitrogen propellant, enough for eighty one-second bursts, were stored in a 6#189 ton detachable armoured trailer towed by the Crocodile. The thrower had a range of up to 120 yards some sources quote 150 yards. The pressure required had to be primed on the trailer by the crew as close to use as feasible, because pressure could not be maintained for very long.